YA psychological thriller
“We don’t pick and choose what to be afraid of. Our fears pick us.”
Tash Carmody has been traumatised since childhood, when she witnessed her gruesome imaginary friend Sparrow lure young Mallory Fisher away from a carnival. At the time nobody believed Tash, and she has since come to accept that Sparrow wasn’t real. Now fifteen and mute, Mallory’s never spoken about the week she went missing. As disturbing memories resurface, Tash starts to see Sparrow again. And she realises Mallory is the key to unlocking the truth about a dark secret connecting them. Does Sparrow exist after all? Or is Tash more dangerous to others than she thinks?
“A beautifully crafted psychological thriller. I couldn’t put it down.” – Fleur Ferris, author of Risk, Black, Wreck and Found.
“This gripping debut messes with your head and makes you doubt your own senses. With Small Spaces, Sarah Epstein smashes it out of the park.” – Ellie Marney, author of the Circus Hearts series, White Night and the Every series.
“Small Spaces is a deliciously creepy YA thriller that reeled me in, made my heart race and kept me guessing to the very end.” – Rachael Craw, author of The Rift and the Spark series.
“This spine-tingling, shiver inducing psychological thriller is one of the most impressive YA debuts I’ve read in ages. With its twisty-turny plot, super-creepy atmosphere and deeply relatable characters, Small Spaces is impossible to put down and a legitimate threat to any reader’s peace of mind. This book should probably come with a nightmare warning!” – Sarah McDuling, Booktopia.
• Winner of the Davitt Award for Best Young Adult Crime Novel 2019
• Honour Book in the CBCA Book of The Year Awards 2019
• Shortlisted in the NSW Premier’s Literary Awards 2019
• Shortlisted in the Queensland Literary Awards 2019
• Shortlisted in the Adelaide Festival Awards for Literature 2020
• Shortlisted in the Australian Book Industry Awards 2019
• Shortlisted in the Aurealis Awards 2018
• Shortlisted for The Readings Young Adult Book Prize 2018
• Shortlisted for the Davitt Awards Best Debut Crime Book 2019
• Longlisted in the Indie Book Awards 2019
Poland – order e-books from:
Wydawnictwo Zielona Sowa
Other international locations – order paperbacks from:
The Book Depository